auditd configuration for PCI DSS 10.2.x Compliance
Joshua Ammons
2018-01-11 22:33:00 UTC
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience putting together an auditd configuration to meet PCI DSS 10.2.x requirements? Below are the requirements and my thoughts for each one...if anyone has anything that they have done I'd love to hear it!

10.2.2 All actions taken by any individual with root or administrative privileges

* Enable the pam_tty_audit.so shared library in /etc/pam.d/[su/sudo/sudo-i/su-l] files.

o USER_TTY event type will contain all commands from privileged user.

* Add following lines to /etc/audit/rules.d/audit.rules file:

o # Audit all actions by any individual with root or administrative privileges

o -a exit,always -F arch=b64 -F euid=0 -S execve -k root-commands

o -a exit,always -F arch=b32 -F euid=0 -S execve -k root-commands

? EXECVE event type will contain all commands from user with elevated privileges.

? Question: with the pam_tty_audit.so enabled, and those commands being logged to USER_TTY events...is this rule needed also?
10.2.3 Access to all audit trails

* I'm not sure the best route to cover this one. If I add a rule to watch /var/log/* for 'wa' actions, those logs are constantly being written to so that would be too noisy I believe. Does anyone know how I would form a rule that would fire when a file within /var/log is accessed directly by a user? Also, if the user makes any manual changes, such as deleting a file or modifying its contents?
10.2.4 Invalid logical access attempts

* Based on my understanding, this wouldn't really be covered by auditd, but by the standard authpriv facility. Anybody configure anything in auditd to cover this requirement?
10.2.5 Use of and changes to identification and authentication mechanisms-including but not limited to creation of new accounts and elevation of privileges-and all changes, additions, or deletions to accounts with root or administrative privileges

* CRED_ACQ (sudo) and USER_AUTH (su) events should contain when a user sudo's or su's to privileged account. My understanding is that these would not require any extra rules to be written. However, I'm not quite sure how to handle the requirements to log creation of new accounts, and all changes, or deletions to accounts with root/admin privileges...any ideas?
10.2.6. Initialization, stopping, or pausing of the audit logs

* Auditd:

o DAEMON_END events would indicate auditd was stopped.

o DAEMON_START and SERVICE_START events would indicate when auditd initialized.

o Anything else anybody would add here?

* Rsyslog:

o SERVICE_START event (unit=rsyslog) when rsyslog is initialized

o SERVICE_STOP event (unit=rsyslog) when rsyslog is stopped

o Anything else anybody would add here?
10.2.7 Creation and deletion of system- level objects

* -w [DIRECTORY] -p wa rules for the directories below:

o /bin

o /sbin

o /usr/bin

o /usr/sbin

o /var/lib

o /usr/lib

o /usr/libexec

o /lib64

o /usr/lib64

? Would the above cover this requirement? Any other suggestions here?

Joshua Ammons Advanced SIEM Engineer, Cybersecurity
Global Business Services
Office 479.204.4472 | Mobile 479.595.2291
***@walmart.com

Walmart
805 Moberly Ln
Bentonville, AR 72716
Save money. Live better.

[cid:***@01D38AF9.D79607E0]<https://walmart.facebook.com/groups/435932993428953/?fref=nf>
Joshua Ammons

***@walmart.com<mailto:***@walmart.com>

Boyce, Kevin P [US] (AS)
2018-01-15 15:14:22 UTC
I'm assuming you need PCI compliance?

You might look at the oscap tools that are part of the distribution. They may have scripts prepared that satisfy most if not all of the PCI requirements.

Assuming you are using RHEL...
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/security_guide/sect-using_oscap

oscap info /usr/share/xml/scap/content/ssg-rhel7-ds.xml lists that there is a pci-dss profile available. When you scan your system and generate a report it will typically list out the scripts required to fix many of the findings. You can keep running the report/scanning function over to see if you got the changes right (your score should increase between iterations).

I typically run oscap xccdf eval --results ~/results.xml --report ~/report.html --profile xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_pcid-dss /usr/share/xml/scap/content/ssg-rhel7-ds.xml

You can view the report in firefox and expand through the results it should be pretty self explanatory.
I'd recommend testing everything in a non-production environment before implementing.

Kevin

Joshua Ammons
2018-01-15 15:27:10 UTC
Thanks Kevin! I will take a look at this. Appreciate the feedback.

Steve Grubb
2018-01-15 15:45:13 UTC
Post by Joshua Ammons
Hello All,
Just thought I'd give this one more shot to see if anyone had any comments
on my prior message (see below)? Any input you have would be greatly
appreciated. I won't bother the group any more on this topic.
Not sure if you noticed, but the audit system ships with a PCI set of rules.
# rpm -ql audit | grep pci
/usr/share/doc/audit/rules/30-pci-dss-v31.rules
Post by Joshua Ammons
I was wondering if anyone had any experience putting together an auditd
configuration to meet PCI DSS 10.2.x requirements? Below are the
requirements and my thoughts for each one...if anyone has anything that
they have done I'd love to hear it!
10.2.2 All actions taken by any individual with root or administrative privileges
* Enable the pam_tty_audit.so shared library in
/etc/pam.d/[su/sudo/sudo-i/su-l] files.
o USER_TTY event type will contain all commands from privileged user.
o # Audit all actions by any individual with root or administrative privileges
o -a exit,always -F arch=b64 -F euid=0 -S execve -k root-commands
o -a exit,always -F arch=b32 -F euid=0 -S execve -k root-commands
The above is best done by TTY auditing.
Post by Joshua Ammons
? EXECVE event type will contain all commands from user with elevated privileges.
? Question: with the pam_tty_audit.so enabled, and those commands being
logged to USER_TTY events...is this rule needed also?
No. And you would want to add -F auid >= 1000 -F auid != -1 if you were
keeping it.
Post by Joshua Ammons
10.2.3 Access to all audit trails
* I'm not sure the best route to cover this one. If I add a rule
to watch /var/log/* for 'wa' actions, those logs are constantly being
written to so that would be too noisy I believe. Does anyone know how I
would form a rule that would fire when a file within /var/log is accessed
directly by a user? Also, if the user makes any manual changes, such as
deleting a file or modifying its contents?
Its not too noisy. Check the rules for this in the pci file. It picks up
everything.
Post by Joshua Ammons
10.2.4 Invalid logical access attempts
* Based on my understanding, this wouldn't really be covered by
auditd, but by the standard authpriv facility. Anybody configure anything
in auditd to cover this requirement?
pam probably covers this.
Post by Joshua Ammons
10.2.5 Use of and changes to identification and authentication
mechanisms-including but not limited to creation of new accounts and
elevation of privileges-and all changes, additions, or deletions to
accounts with root or administrative privileges
Put a watch on passwd & group and shadow-utils does the rest.
Post by Joshua Ammons
* CRED_ACQ (sudo) and USER_AUTH (su) events should contain when a
user sudo's or su's to privileged account. My understanding is that these
would not require any extra rules to be written. However, I'm not quite
sure how to handle the requirements to log creation of new accounts, and
all changes, or deletions to accounts with root/admin privileges...any
ideas?
Shadow utils covers this.
Post by Joshua Ammons
10.2.6. Initialization, stopping, or pausing of the audit logs
o DAEMON_END events would indicate auditd was stopped.
o DAEMON_START and SERVICE_START events would indicate when auditd initialized.
o Anything else anybody would add here?
o SERVICE_START event (unit=rsyslog) when rsyslog is initialized
o SERVICE_STOP event (unit=rsyslog) when rsyslog is stopped
o Anything else anybody would add here?
10.2.7 Creation and deletion of system- level objects
o /bin
o /sbin
o /usr/bin
o /usr/sbin
o /var/lib
o /usr/lib
o /usr/libexec
o /lib64
o /usr/lib64
? Would the above cover this requirement? Any other suggestions here?
This will probably make you very unhappy when you do yum update. But you can
add those rules.

-Steve
Joshua Ammons

-Steve
Shinoj Gangadharan
2018-01-16 08:49:20 UTC
Hi Joshua,

A few minor things for your consideration :

10.2.3 Access to all audit trails

· I’m not sure the best route to cover this one. If I add a rule
to watch /var/log/* for ‘wa’ actions, those logs are constantly being
written to so that would be too noisy I believe. Does anyone know how I
would form a rule that would fire when a file within /var/log is accessed
directly by a user? Also, if the user makes any manual changes, such as
deleting a file or modifying its contents?

Ensure that only root users have access to /var/log and you are already
monitoring actions of users using pam_tty_audit etc. Additionally you are
sending logs to remote servers which will ensure that logs are present on
the remote server even if they are deleted locally. And since user actions
are being monitored, you will also be able to know that logs were
modified/deleted.

10.2.7

In addition to what you have mentioned, I am sure you are already
monitoring these using a FIM like OSSEC.

Regards,

Shinoj.

Just thought I’d give this one more shot to see if anyone had any comments
on my prior message (see below)? Any input you have would be greatly
appreciated. I won’t bother the group any more on this topic.

Thank you!

*Joshua Ammons* *Advanced SIEM Engineer, Cybersecurity *

Global Business Services

Office 479.204.4472 | Mobile 479.595.2291

****@walmart.com <***@walmart.com>*

Walmart

805 Moberly Ln

Bentonville, AR 72716

*Save money. Live better.*

--
*DISCLAIMER* *: **The information and the attachments in this email may be
confidential and legally privileged. Access to the contents of this message

*Wave Crest cannot guarantee this email communication and associated
attachments to be free of malicious code and assumes no liability for any
loss or injury resulting from the contents of the message. **The views
expressed may not necessarily be those of *Wave Crest*, and unless
otherwise noted in the text of the message, the message may not reflect
official policy.*